Here is a simplified list I use to describe how Christians must thoughtfully wrestle with passages in the Bible that raise questions in 21st century developed world.
Some examples of these passages would be:
- Slavery- Ephesians 6v5, 1 Corinthians 7v21-24
- Women’s Rights- 1 Corinthians 11v-16, Ephesians 5v22-24
- Science- Genesis 1-11
- People who are gay- Leviticus 20v13 , Romans 1v18-32, 1 Corinthians 6v9
A Simplified Guide for Interpreting Difficult Passages
1. God inspired human authors to author the biblical books (this does not imply dictation).
2. Because human authors are involved in the authorship of scripture, all scripture is culturally conditioned.
3. The culture of the 21st century developed world differs in many ways from the cultures in which the biblical books were written.
4. When we interpret the Bible we must determine what is God’s eternal instruction and what is culture bound.
5. When the view of the 21st century developed world differs from a biblical teaching, we should thoughtfully and seriously consider whether or not we should interpret the passages as eternally binding.